1. The Problem Only Gets Worse
- Once a home experiences foundation settlement, the settlement will only get worse with time. Homeowners should take action right away to avoid greater amounts of damage and cost.
2. Resale Value
- Potential buyers won’t want to buy a home that has an unstable foundation.
- A settled foundation will also affect the appearance of the home. This will be shown through the unleveled structure and cracking that could appear both inside and outside of the home.
4. Door and Window Operation
- When a home is experiencing settling, the doors and windows will not be properly aligned. This will make the doors and windows hard to open and close, causing them to stick and jam.
5. Water Intrusion
- When a home’s foundation is settled, this leads to cracking. One of the reasons to act on this issue right away is to prevent other issues from occurring. An issue that is common after foundation settlement is a water damaged basement. This occurs because the cracks that are created because of a settled foundation allow water an easy entrance into the basement.
- Of course, one of the most important reasons to act on your home’s unstable condition is to ensure that you protect your loved ones and your property.
7. Cracks Let in Unwanted Visitors
- Insects and rodents can get into your home through cracks in your foundation, leading to another area of issues.